November 16, 2005 (7pm): Executive Director, Charlotte Bunch, spoke on Gender, Bodily Integrity, and Human Rights, as part of the Human Rights Speaker Series of Rutgers Global Initiative, Cook Douglass Lecture Hall, Room 102, New Brunswick, NJ
November 3, 2005 (4:30-6pm Lecture, 6-6:30pm Reception): CWGL co-sponsored Queer Matters in Africa: an intellectual history, a talk with Marc Epprecht, Queens University, Ontario, with commentary by Professor Abena Busia and additional remarks by Cary Alan Johnson from the International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission (IGLHRC), Ruth Dill Johnson Crockett Building, Douglass College, New Brunswick, NJ.
- October 27-30, 2005: CWGL events at the 10th AWID International Forum on Women's Rights and Development, How Does Change Happen?, Bangkok, Thailand
CWGL PANEL DISCUSSION
The Global Impact of Women’s Human Rights Activism and the Future of Leadership Development
Saturday 11-12:30pm (Chiangmai 2)
Charlotte Bunch, Executive Director, Center for Women's Global Leadership, moderator
Mahnaz Afkhami, Executive Director, Women’s Learning Partnership (WLP)
Zeedah Meierhofer-Mangeli, Acting Director, Akina Mama wa Afrika (AMwA)
Geetanjali Misra, Executive Director, Creating Resources for Empowerment in Action (CREA)
Shamillah Wilson, Young Women and Leadership Theme Manager, Association for Women’s Rights in Development (AWID)
CWGL CO-SPONSORED ACTIVITIES
Strategies, Struggles, and Moving Forward: Perspectives on Working to End Violence Against Women
Friday 2-4:30pm (Ballroom 1, Translation: SP, FR, RU, TH)
Sponsored by the Association for Women’s Rights in Development (AWID) and the Center for Women's Global Leadership (CWGL). Speakers: Charlotte Bunch, Center for Women's Global Leadership, USA; Everjoice Win, Action Aid, South Africa; Farida Shaheed, Women Living Under Muslim Laws, Pakistan; Perna Sen, Amnesty International; Julia Perez Cervera, CLADEM, Mexico; Lydia Alpizar, AWID, Mexico; and Sunila Abeysekera, INFORM, Sri Lanka
Who Will Protect the Protectors? Making Activism Safer for Women
Saturday 11-12:30pm (Rattanakosin, Translation: SP, FR)
Sponsored by Amnesty International, Asia Pacific Forum on Women, Law, and Development, Center for Women’s Global Leadership (CWGL), INFORM (Information Monitor), International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission (IGLHRC), ISIS-WICCE, and Women Living Under Muslim Laws (WLUML). Speakers: Mary Jane Real, Asia Pacific Forum on Women, Law and Development, Philippines and Rauda Morcos, ASWAT, Israel
Written Out: Sexuality-Baiting and Attacks on Women's Organizing
Sunday 9:30-11am (Singapore, Translation: SP)
Sponsored by the Center for Women's Global Leadership (CWGL) and International Gay and Lesbian Human Rights Commission (IGLHRC). Speakers: Rauda Morcos, ASWAT, Israel; Cynthia Rothschild, CWGL & IGLHRC, USA; and Sangeeta Budhiraja, IGLHRC, USA.
CHARLOTTE BUNCH SPEAKING ENGAGEMENTS
How can we influence, use and benefit from the UN: A Strategy Session for the next 5 years
Thursday 2-4:30pm (Ballroom 2, Translation: SP, FR, RU)
Sponsored by the Association of Women's Rights in Development (AWID)
Contributing to the UN Secretary General’s study on violence against women: An opportunity for intervention
Friday 5-6:30pm (Singapore, Translation: SP)
Sponsored by the Division for the Advancement of Women (DAW)
- September 28, 2005 (4:15-6:30pm): Global Partners, Global Perspectives, a panel presentation with a local to global call to action to support access to women's health rights, sponsored by the Center for Women's Global Leadership and Planned Parenthood of Central New Jersey (PPCNJ), Ruth Dill Johnson Crockett Building, Douglass College, New Brunswick, NJ.
- September 14-16, 2005: 2005 World Summit, United Nations General Assembly High Level Segment on Millennium Review, New York.
- March 25-26, 2005 (beginning at 10am): Rutgers' First Annual Conference on South Asia, Home and the World: South Asia in Transition, Graduate Student Lounge, College Avenue Campus, Rutgers University, 126 College Avenue, New Brunswick, NJ 08901
- February 28-March 11, 2005 (Beijing +10): Commission on the Status of Women (CSW), 49th Session, United Nations Headquarters, New York City. Click here to see the official site.
- March 10, 2005 (6:30pm): GRASSROOTS: Back that AAA...ctivism Up! Come Boycott Social Irresponsibility and get Active. Jennifer Baumgardner and Amy Richards, the authors of GRASSROOTS and MANIFESTA, come to discuss grassroots feminist activism, NJC lounge in the Douglass College Center. FREE EVENT AND FREE FOOD. Co-sponsored by the WCDC, Radigals, Center for Women's Global Leadership, IWL, LLEGO, SEA, DCGA, RU Choice and Amnesty International.
- February 26, 2005 (6-10pm): Tribal Life and Women's Rights in Iran, Center for Middle Eastern Studies, Center for Women's Global Leadership, Department of Africana Studies, American-Iranian Council, Persian Cultural Club. Livingston College Student Center, Rutgers University. For more information, contact 732-445-8444.
- January 26-31, 2005: World Social Forum, Porto Alegre, Brazil
Charlotte Bunch, Executive Director, participated in the following sessions:
- January 27, 2005: Women's Orientation to the World Social Forum, sponsored by WICEJ, FEMNET, CAFRA, Center for Women's Global Leadership and others.
- January 28, 2005: Dialogue Between Movements, a seminar to discuss the politics of differences as well as building bridges between movements.
- January 29, 2005: Women Human Rights Defenders Seminar entitled Defending Women Defending Rights!
- January 29, 2005: Education and Citizenship: For the right to quality public services for all women and men sponsored by ICAE/REPEM and WICEJ.
- January 30, 2005: Taking Action for Women's Rights: Beijing+10, MDGs and Beyond, sponsored by DAWN, WEDO, WICEJ and the Center for Women's Global Leadership.